Articleship Training ICAI Norms & Guidelines Summary
Articleship Training ICAI Norms
This is a compulsory training prescribed by ICAI for 3 years to complete the Chartered Accountancy Course. Below are the few important provisions related to this as per ICAI rules:
1. There are two types of trainees under this course, one is an article trainee and another is an audit assistant.
2. A student has to serve as an article assistant for a period of 3 years, alternatively, he can serve as an audit assistant for a period of 4 years. But before intending to join as an audit assistant, a student has to serve a minimum period of 1 year as a salaried employee with that employer.
3. ICAI also permits article assistants to undergo practical training outside India for the entire 3 years under an eligible member of the Institute.
4. The principal can depute his article trainee for a part period not exceeding 6 months to any member outside India who is eligible to engage & train under the statute of that country.
5. IPC (Intermediate) passed students can undergo industrial training in an industrial organization approved by ICAI for a period between 9 months to 12 months during the last year of articleship period. Industrial training shall be received under a member of the institute employed in the industrial unit or member in the industry.
6. An article assistant shall earn leave at the rate of 1/6th of the period actually served excluding from such period, the period for which he has been on leave subject to a maximum of 156 in case of 3 years.
7. For exam preparation, he shall be granted leave for 3 months or pending leaves whichever is less.
8. The days of exams are counted as on duty articleship.
9. Attendance of GMCS, any seminar/ conferences of ICAI or any council of ICAI would be treated as on duty articleship provided it is attended with the consent of Principal.
10. For any excess leave, he/ she is required to serve for a further period.
11. The working hours for the article assistant should not exceed 35 hours in a week excluding the lunch break. In case of exigencies, he can work a maximum of 45 hours in a week.
12. The normal office hours for the article assistant should start between 9.00 AM to 11 AM.
13. The normal office hours for the article assistant should end between 5.00 PM to 7.00 PM.
14. An article assistant can take one additional course of study during his Articleship with approval of ICAI & Principal.
15. During working hours, the article assistant is not permitted to attend regular college/ other institutions for pursuing any course including graduation.
16. An article assistant cannot engage in any other occupation without prior permission of the council.
17. An article assistant can be a director of the family-owned company totally independent of him and his Principal without taking an active part in it and not drawing any allowance other than sitting fees.
18. An article assistant can be a sleeping partner in any business concern.
19. An article assistant may be permitted to engage in teaching in a commerce college or in private tuitions in commerce subjects which are likely to be useful for the course of the Institute’s examination up to 9 hours per week. It should be in the same city and before or after normal office hours.
20. If any article assistant is found guilty of any misconduct, ICAI may reprimand him or cancel his registration or direct that any period already served shall not be reckoned as service.
21. During the first year of Articles, transfer/termination is permitted without any restrictions.
22. Transfer/ termination of articles after completion of the first year is possible on medical ground, transfer of parents to another city, relocation to another city after marriage, death of Principal, ceasing of the practice of Principal, irregular payment or non-payment of stipends, industrial training or secondment of articles.